Monday, December 21, 2015

A typical day


This will be a collection of pictures of scenes I see everyday. Some things I still haven't gotten used to and often catch myself stopping in my tracks to stare at something that nobody else seems even slightly phased by. Many other things I have gotten used to and then I remember that if I was in the West, it would be a strange sight, but not here: this is China- TIC.

These first 4 pictures are of the 92 year old man who lives on the bottom floor of our apartment building. He is extremely healthy and lives alone since his wife died many years ago. He used to be a Chinese teacher at our school and has lived on campus since retiring. He still often works in our little vegetable patch and goes on short walks down our road. Since its been getting cold out, he has started playing with fire. He sits and pokes at his fire nearly all day long. Did I mention he is the cutest thing ever? 

Warming himself in the rare sunshine
More neighbors burning things...
Just teaching my kids useful stuff ya know... (I have a cold... so I had to explain why tears keep running down my face)
My students assembling on the field with the entire school between 2nd and 3rd period to run around the track/campus for 10 minutes. They are in formation with their class.

Typical lunches
I see this man almost every day, with two little babies in the bike bags... I can't help but laugh every time I see them.


Another favorite activity is watching our street sweeper on the bridge sweep up all of the dirt and then proceed to simply dump it over the bridge. 
Ever since winter began, our river has slowly lost more and more water. Where is it going?!?! I DON'T UNDERSTAND. But there we have it.. A nearly empty river (in the summer the water went up to the grassy area) 
 
Pretty much as soon as you turn off of any of our main roads, you run into fields. 

One of the elementary schools in town (they all look this big) 

Just pushing along her streetfood cart
 My pool in all its glory- "tree" decor, moldy ceilings...


Just a circus truck with a caged Tiger in the back. It's casual. (and extremely sad :( )

The second circus truck had 2 caged lions :(

People huddle around fires a lot here.
Wonder what they were doing in the closet...
Magical Journey- our fanciest chain bakery in town. Trying to figure out what each pastry is is a magical journey.
Hairdressers on old street.
Our recycling heaven- old people sort through the trash here and then bring it to this spot in town to get whatever cash they can from it
Where I often get dinner- fried rice, fried noodles, or soup noodles.
Construction site... looks like wasteland.









Wet cold is the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment